Meeting/Event Information

EVENT SOLD OUT - Col Ward Pumping Plant

July 19, 2017
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
 Add to Calendar

Colonel Ward Pump Station/Buffalo Water Authority
2 Porter Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14201

This event is sold out!  We cannot accept walk-ins.


Join BOMA Members
Patrick Martin,
Buffalo Water Pumping Plant Superintendent

Col. Francis Ward Pumping Station
Lunch Presentation and Tour

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

11:30 AM - Lunch and networking

12:00 PM - Presentation and Pump station tour
(a tour of the Filtration Plant and other areas of the
building will follow for those who can stay longer) 

There is limited seating for this event.

Don't delay registering...first come, first serve.
(Pre-registration is required. No shows will be billed.

Substitutions are welcome. No walk-ins accepted.)

Parking and Directions

Heading west on Porter Ave, cross over NY190. Once you get over the bridge make first left onto DAR Drive.  From 190, take Porter Ave. exit, make a right onto Porter and then a quick left onto DAR Drive. 

Once on DAR Drive, proceed 250 yards and make left to Centennial Pool parking lot. Use predestrian walk to cross DAR Drive and enter Colonel Ward Pumping Station through rear gate.  No private vehicles are permitted inside the plant gates.

Sponsor this meeting!  Call Jennifer @ (716) 856-3801.


The Holly steam pumps at the Colonel Francis Ward Pumping Station are one of Buffalo's hidden treasures. Built by the Holly Manufacturing Co., Buffalo N.Y. in 1914, they still exist today in their original configuration complete and intact. The five engines each stand 60 ft. tall and weigh in at 1100 tons apiece and capable of pumping up to 30,000,000 million gallons per day each.  They were the largest engines ever built by the Holly Company. They operated, pumping Buffalo's water till about 1980. The building itself is magnificent with it's large arched windows, tile walls, iron railings and street lights lining the balcony. The original building was designed by Esenwein & Johnson.

Ward served as a lieutenant colonel during the Spanish-American War, and later became Buffalo’s public works commissioner, shepherding the plant through its construction. The pumps were made by the Holly Pump Co. of Lockport. In 1938, three electric pumps were installed at the station. The steam pumps remained the backups for nearly 40 years.

(become a 2017 Sponsor)